Scholar Uniform Policy
Virtually all schools have either explicit or implicit standards of dress, and Somerset Prep DC is no exception. Scholars must abide by the uniform code every day. Scholars are required to carry their ID badge and wear the school uniform each day. The uniform shirt must be purchased from the Somerset uniform vendor or the Somerset school store. ID badges will be given to scholars by Somerset Prep DC.
Scholars will receive disciplinary action if improperly dressed. The following uniform policy is endorsed and committed to being enforced by Somerset Prep DC Public Charter School. Scholars are required to follow this policy, and failure to do so will result in the scholar being sent home at the door to return to school in the proper uniform resulting in an unexcused absence or tardy. Please consult the daily uniform code below.
All uniform shirts and pants must be purchased through the Somerset Prep DC School store:
Grade 6: Gold color Polo Shirt with Somerset Bulldog logo.
Grade 7: Red color Polo Shirt with Somerset Bulldog logo.
Grade 8: Black color Polo Shirt with Somerset Bulldog logo.
Grade 9: White color Polo Shirt with Somerset Crest logo.
Grade 10: White oxford dress shirt with Somerset Crest logo. 10th-grade scholars may also purchase a black pullover vest or black pullover sweater. These sweaters must be worn over the Somerset White oxford shirt.
Grade 11: Black color Oxford Shirt with Somerset Crest logo.
Grade 12: Black color Oxford Shirt with Somerset Crest logo.
Dress Code-Somerset Prep DC PCS’s Daily Uniform Code All scholars must wear their grade level Somerset Prep shirt with the Somerset Prep DC logo. Scholars are not permitted to have shirts made independently. All shirts must be tucked in at all times.
All scholars must wear UNIFORM tan khaki full-length pants or UNIFORM tan khaki shorts that are no shorter than three inches from the knee. NO CARGO POCKETS on pants or shorts are allowed. No skinny leg pants or five-pocket style pants or jeans. Scholars must wear uniform style pants.
Additionally: SKIRTS are not allowed unless for religious reasons.
Pants must be uniform style pants, which are not sold by Somerset Prep. Uniform pants may be purchased on your own. Pants may not be rolled up or cuffed at any time during the school day.
- Pants must be tan khaki in color. No other colors are allowed. Pants must be khaki material. Scholars may not wear pants made of denim, corduroy or sweatpants material.
- Pants must not be too tight or too loose. Any issues will be resolved by the Dean of Scholars or another member of the Leadership Team Pants must be worn appropriately with a black or brown belt through each belt loop.
- Pants may not sag.
- Undergarments may not be visible.
- Pants may not have any tears or holes.
- Pants with multiple pockets, such as cargo pants, are not allowed.
- Pants may not have any chains, beading, ties, embroidery or additional decoration.
- No leggings or tights may be worn with shorts.
Belts are required and must be all-black or brown with a plain buckle. No chains or other belts may be worn. No embellished or oversized belt buckles. Belts must be worn appropriately through the belt loops of the Scholar's pants or shorts.
Scholars may wear solid black or solid brown shoes with no labels or logos.
Shoes must be closed-toe, closed-heel. Heels may be no higher than 1 inch. Platform shoes are not acceptable.
Jackets and Sweatshirts
No jackets, sweaters or sweatshirts may be worn during class or throughout the school day, unless they are Somerset Prep Uniform logoed.
Scholar ID Badges
Scholars must carry their current school year Somerset Prep Academy ID badge at all times.
- Headwear may only be worn for religious reasons.
- No hair picks, hats, sweatbands, sun visors, bandanas, or headscarves are permitted.
- Females may wear simple solid colored black, red, white or gold headbands no larger than 1” in width. No rhinestones, flowers or embellishments allowed.
Hair barrettes no larger than 3” in length may be worn.
- Only hoop earrings no larger than a dime and small stud earrings are allowed.
- Necklaces may only be worn if they are tucked into the Scholar's shirt and are not visible.
- Rings ARE NOT ALLOWED to be worn at any time.
- Only modestly sized watches with a face no larger than 1 inch may be worn.
No loud, bright or neon colored lipstick, such as neon pink, blue, red, green, purple, orange may be worn.
Physical Education Dress Requirement
Scholars enrolled in PE class are to wear the Somerset Prep DC PE uniform. Scholars are expected to dress for class even when they are limited from participating physically (unless permanent or temporary handicap makes it impossible). Classes may be held outdoors in the fall and spring. Scholars should come to class prepared daily with a jacket, sweatshirt and/or sweatpants as necessary for the weather. A solid grey shirt and Solid Black shorts can be worn as an alternative to Somerset Prep DC PE uniform.No jewelry should be worn during class as it can pose a safety hazard.
Cold Weather Options
- Grades 6th – 8th must wear the Somerset Prep DC logo uniform sweatshirt for their appropriate grade level OVER their grade level polo. No other jackets, sweaters or sweatshirts may be worn.
- Grade 9 – Must wear the Somerset Prep DC pullover sweater, pullover sweater vest or RED polar fleece jacket OVER their white polo shirt. No other jackets, sweaters or sweatshirts may be worn.
- Grade 10 – Must wear the Somerset Prep DC BLACK pullover sweater, BLACK pullover sweater vest or BLACK polar fleece jacket OVER their white oxford shirt. No other jackets, sweaters or sweatshirts may be worn.
- Non-Somerset jackets and outerwear must be removed upon entry to the school and stored in the Scholar's locker at all times throughout the school day until dismissal.
- All outerwear must be stored in the Scholar's locker.
- Undershirts may be worn under the Somerset Prep DC uniform shirt, but cannot be seen from the sleeve or collar.
During inclement weather only, snow or rain boots may be worn. Pants must be worn properly over the boot (not tucked into boots).
Boots may not be worn with shorts.
UGG boots or UGG boot style shoes ARE NOT ALLOWED.
There will be days where scholars are required or asked to dress professionally. These include events such as Professional Day; representing the school at an event; special field trips; portfolio presentations; and other school-related events. If a scholar does not meet the Professional Dress requirements on a Professional Dress day, that scholar will be sent home to change and his or her absence will be unexcused.
Throughout the school year, scholars may have opportunities to “dress down.” These are limited events and specific clothing guidelines must be followed. Scholars who do not follow the guidelines will be sent home to change and his or her absence will be unexcused. Scholars may elect to wear their school uniform on Dress Down days.
All backpacks/bags must be stored in scholar lockers. Scholar bags must not exceed the size to limit locker storage.